These Crispy Pulled Pork Potato Skins are perfect for a game day or party appetizer or even a quick and easy weeknight dinner! Everyone can customize a few to their liking!
Lately, I’ve been on a potato skins kick and I’ve been playing around with lots of different cooking methods to find our favorite. I think I’ve finally perfected them with these Pulled Pork Potato Skins so I wanted to share!
Potato skins can be a bit time-consuming but overall they’re fairly easy to throw together. Most of the time is just the potatoes cooking in the oven and the hands-on time is pretty minimal
How To Make Crispy Potato Skins
We prefer our potato skins crispy with just a thin layer of potato and that requires a few steps.
- Bake your potatoes. I prefer smaller over bigger potatoes so I tend to use yellow potatoes but you can use russet potatoes for a larger option. To bake them, just poke clean potatoes all over with a a fork or knife so they don’t explode in the oven and then bake at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes. Time will vary depending on the size of the potatoes but you’ll know they’re done when you can pierce them easily with a knife. (To cut down on cooking time, try throwing them in the microwave for a few minutes before the oven)
- Cut the potatoes in half length-wise and let them cool.
- Then use a spoon to scoop out the middle of the potatoes, leaving just a thin layer.
- Brush them with butter and spices and bake again.
- Then fill with toppings and bake just long enough to warm the filling and melt the cheese.
- Add final toppings and enjoy!
What To Do With Leftover Potato
I often get asked what to do with the leftover potato from the middle when making potato skins. You could turn them into mashed potatoes or make potato cakes like I do. Simply mash up the potatoes, add 2 eggs and some shredded cheese plus enough flour to make them thick enough to form into patties (usually about 1/3 cup). Then add some spices, some sliced green onions or bacon, shape into patties and bake for 15-20 minutes, flipping once.
Crispy Pulled Pork Potato Skins
Potato Skin Fillings
If you’re not a fan of pulled pork, have no fear! These are super easy to customize and you can put whatever you want inside! Make them with just cheese. Add bacon. Add some bbq sauce to your pulled pork if you want to. You could also use chicken or even leftover taco meat!
Here’s the full recipe with directions:
Crispy Pulled Pork Potato Skins
These Pulled Pork Potato Skins are perfect for a game day or party appetizer or even a quick and easy weeknight dinner! Everyone can customize a few to their liking!
1.5 pounds small yellow potatoes
2 Tbsp butter
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried parsley
pinch of salt
2 cups pulled pork
bbq sauce, optional
1 cup shredded cheese (colby jack or cheddar)
green onions and fresh parsley for topping
- Clean potatoes, stab all over with a fork or knife and bake on a baking sheet at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes or until you can easily pierce them with a knife.
- Slice in half lengthwise and let cool.
- Scoop out potato from the middle leaving a thin layer.
- Melt butter in a small dish and mix with spices.
- Brush butter mixture lightly onto potato skins on both sides and place cut side down on baking sheet.
- Return to oven for 10 minutes.
- Flip potatoes over and bake 5 more minutes.
- Mix pulled pork with bbq sauce if desired, then spoon pork into potato skins. Top with cheese.
- Bake another 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted and pork is warm.
- Top with sliced green onions and fresh parsley plus any additional toppings like bacon, sour cream etc and serve!
You can easily double the recipe to feed a crowd!
As you can see, a lot of the time is hands-off while the potatoes are in the oven!
Hope you guys love these as much as we do!
LEARN HOW FOOD AFFECTS YOUR BODY.
Get my free Table Talk email series where I share bite-sized nutrition information about carbs, protein, and fat, plus bonus information about snacks and sugar!