Growing up, chicken pot pies were the ultimate comfort food. Now that I’m grown, and currently not eating meat, lentil pot pies are the ultimate comfort food.
And even though I replaced the chicken with lentils and exchanged the pie shell for a simple puff pastry top (if you don’t have puff pastry, just top with a biscuit!)…
I’m gonna let you in on a little secret: It still tastes just as good!
Lentil Pot Pies
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Keywords: bake saute entree vegetarian healthy low-carb lentils vegetables
Ingredients (3 pot pies)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetables, diced
- 1 ½ c lentils, cooked
- 1 ½ c low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ c skim milk
- black pepper, to taste
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 sheet puff pastry
1. In a large skillet, saute the butter, garlic and veggies over medium high heat until just tender.
2. Add lentils and heat through.
3. Sprinkle flour over lentil and veggie mixture, add broth, milk and spices and stir to combine.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
5. Lay the puff pastry sheet flat on a cutting board, turn a ramekin upside down and press lightly to make circles. Cut out two circles and two squares and set aside.
6. Grease 3 ramekins and divide mixture evenly among them. Top two with circles of puff pastry and one with a leftover square. Make two slits in the middle of each pastry to let steam out.
7. Bake at 375 degrees F for approximately 20 minutes, or until puff pastry is golden brown.
Powered by Recipage
What’s your favorite comfort food?
LEARN HOW FOOD AFFECTS YOUR BODY.
Get my free Table Talk email series where I share bite-sized nutrition information about carbs, protein, and fat, plus bonus information about snacks and sugar!